Power rankings are silly. We always fight over which team should be in certain spots when, ultimately, it really doesn’t matter. So we made our own silly “pointless rankings” about the things that went on in the league in the past week. This feature will be on every Monday.
Disagree with these rankings? We already said that these were silly. I put them where I feel they belong.
1) Grizzlies Grit-And-Grind: They don’t play sexy basketball. Even if their offense is better (8th in Offensive Rating), they’re not very flashy. But they beat up other teams on defense and, boy, have they been beating them up. Memphis is riding a five-game win streak and has a record of 15-2 (11-0 against the West). And they just play. Other than Courtney Lee’s game-winner and Justin Timberlake, they don’t grab many headlines.
And they should. That’s why I’m giving them their due.
2) Kobe Bryant Keeps Amazing Us: It sounds like I’m biased because I’ve had Kobe Bryant in these rankings many, many times. But he’s crossed Thaddeus Young, crossed Terrence Ross, and is dropping dimes. Oh, yeah. He also got a triple-double in a win against Toronto.
Kobe is putting on a basketball clinic at 36. I’m also 36 and I complain about walking to the kitchen.
4) Russell Westbrook Is Back!: YAY!
5) Golden State Warriors Team Plane Celebration: If they keep winning, we’re going to keep getting Mo Speights Instagram videos of their celebrations. They are really having fun right now.
6) Hello Kitty Supercute Friendship Festival: I was so confused when Mike Barrett and Mike Rice promoted this Hello Kitty Supercute Friendship Festival thingie during the Portland Trail Blazers game.
7) Denver Nuggets Don’t Get A Shoutout: The Denver Police Department loves their professional sports teams except for the Nuggets. The Portland police does a much better job acknowledging their NBA team.
8) Iggy Azalea At Laker Games: She’s so excited.
9) Andre Drummond: The Pistons are terrible and he’s getting hit in the face with a basketball. It hasn’t been a good week for poor Dre.
10) Sixers Are 0-16: Michael Carter-Williams doesn’t even who his teammates are anymore. But that’s okay. We’re still TEAM ELLEN.
Zach Randolph picture courtesy of Getty Images.